Canvas is a Learning Management System
To add Single Sign On for a Canvas service you need to upload the XML file to the Cloudwork dashboard
Getting the XML file:
Metadata is at https://<<schoolcode>>.instructure.com/saml_meta_data and the certificate needs to be entered in as a fingerprint
Then some work needs to be done in Canvas before uploading the XML file to the dashboard.
In Canvas, Go to Admin -> Authentication On the dropdown on the right choose SAML. The settings are shown below
The definitions for both Entity ID and Sign On and Sign Out Endpoint can be found in Identity Provider Details
- IdP Metadata URL - The Entity ID of the metadata, this is found in the Cloudwork Dashboard, Go to Features -> Single Sign on -> Identity Provider.
- IdP Entity ID - Also the Entity ID, see above
- Log On URL - This is the Sign On Endpoint, this is also found in the Cloudwork Dashboard, Go to Features -> Single Sign on -> Identity Provider.
- Log Out URL - This is the Sign Out Endpoint which is also found in the Cloudwork Dashboard, Go to Features -> Single Sign on -> Identity Provider.
- Certificate Fingerprint - The certificate can be downloaded from the Identity Provider details in the Cloudwork Dashboard.
- Login Attribute - This should be: NameID
- Identifier format - This should be: urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.1:nameid-format:emailAddress
Uploading the XML file
Once you have the XML file go to the Cloudwork Dashboard and then go to Features -> Single Sign -> Add New Service -> Upload an XML file.
This will lead to a page that looks like this:
- Name - A friendly name to identify the service e.g. Canvas
- Upload - Here is where you upload the XML file for Canvas
Then you can test the login before by going to https://<<schoolcode>>.instructure.com/login/saml
Once you are ready to go just change the position to 1 and it will become the default authentication. This part is done in Canvas.